Click here for Myspace Layouts

Monday, May 9, 2011

Knowledge is more important than preparation

I am Ankur Ogra. I passed out of the institute in 2006. I was awarded the Achin Ganguly Memorial Scholarship for topping the entrance examination. I have worked in various advertising agencies like Dentsu, Ogilvy & Mather, Draft FCB Ulka and I am currently working with Percept Hakuhodo as Senior Manager –Strategy. I have worked on various brands like American Express, Hutch/Vodafone, Tata Docomo, Oswal among others. I was also doing theatre during my days at the institute with Barry John and acted in some plays with him.
Preparing for the advertising & PR entrance exam is the easiest the challenge I have faced in my life. Unbelievable...yes but true!

Because there was absolutely no preparation I had done for it. This is an exam that tests your knowledge of current socio-political matters affecting society and the relevance and importance of branding, advertising, marketing and other business issues affecting our everyday life.

Hence, preparation at the last minute would not be of great help, so anyone who has been reading economic and political newspapers and magazines will have a far greater edge than someone who has picked it up in the last few weeks.

Previous Blog by Ankur
Tips to crack the entrance examination for Advertising & PR

My suggestions– brand equity on ET (Wednesdays), Storyboard (CNBC), All about ads (NDTV Profit). Just follow these articles and programmes religiously till the time of the exam and I am sure it would be of great help.

The questions are subjective and you have 2 hours to finish. So you need to be fast in answering. Very fast! Since the competition is tough please don’t leave any question.

There is a group discussion after you have been shortlisted on the basis of your written examination for 15 marks. But this exam is not independent of your written exam, so even if you screw up your GD, you still have a good chance of cracking the exam!...so in a nutshell the entrance exam is of paramount importance. The total score is calculated from 100 marks.

Finally, just be calm and composed and am sure you will crack it.


Best of luck
Ankur Ogra

No comments: